The church was built by the Italian builder Domenico Gualino and completed in 1759, as shown on the four cast-iron tie rods at the corners of the façade. The church's interior remained unfinished at this time and its interior decoration dates from 1847.
The spire was added in 1845.
The square bell-tower was built on a tower of the ancient Montjoie castle that guarded the entrance to the Bonhomme mountain pass. The porch roof informs us that the church is dedicated to the Holy-Trinity, an uncommon dedication for a church in this part of Europe.
The funds for its construction came mostly from emmigrants. The church survived the French Revolution, the annexation (of the Mont-Blanc departement ) and the Napoleonic wars without damage.
The secret of making the original tinplate scales has been lost, so the roofing has been renovated using with stainless steel.
The church was immortalized in 1802 by the famous english painter Turner.
Its most recent renovation was carried out by Edouard Borga in 1976.
Extract from “Les Contamines at the beginning of the century” by an amateur photographer, Dr. Ancelet, the first doctor to live in the village.
Nous utilisons différentes méthodes, telles que les cookies, pour vous garantir la meilleure navigation possible sur ce site ou application. Ces cookies permettent de vous proposer des contenus et services personnalisés ainsi que d'en analyser le trafic pour améliorer votre expérience. En cliquant sur le bouton "tout accepter", vous consentez à leur utilisation. Vous pouvez changer d'avis et modifier vos préférences à tout moment à l'aide du bouton "Personnaliser mes choix".